6.09.2024

Orpheus Resurfacing

I began this blog – an offshoot of my longstanding mega-blog HG Poetics – in August of 2010, almost 14 years ago. It lasted a little over a month. Now, much later, much older, and under changed circumstances (retired from library work, living in Minneapolis) I've decided to revive it. 

My thinking (and feeling) since then have also changed, perhaps more than I realize. But rather than pursue a critique of my previous effusions, I will try to start over, somewhat. 

Rereading earlier posts here, I can see I was referring, indirectly, to my own poems and long poems. That's probably inevitable. But at least I'm going to try a slightly different approach, more in keeping with my current state of mind and interests. 

As mentioned, I'm retired; 72 years old; living back in my old home town, the very Minneapolis blocks where I was born, and where 3 or more generations of my family have lived. Here, and now, I feel all kinds of isolation (physical, psychological, political, literary-critical) from the larger world, the writerly world, and my fellow poets. So this blog is just another way for me to send sonar signals to that larger world – way off there, on shore.